Waste Signage Improvement
Why improve CSUCI’s waste signage?
- Help students, staff and faculty identify which trash bin to use
- Improve the waste bin sign readability and information
- Increase basic recycling knowledge
Spring 2017: Claude Cahuantzi, Noreen Ednave & Austin Valdovino
The student leaders created trash bin signs. They also tabled on the CSUCI Earth Day Event where they conducted the following:
- Recycling Education
- Trash toss game (student participants won B2P (Bottle to Pens) and recycled tote bags)
- Waste Quiz
Below are a few example questions from the Earth Day waste quiz:
- Which country is the leading trash generator?
- In 2014, around how much municipal solid waste did the United States generated?
- Gold Coast Recycling Incorporated processes CSUCI recyclables. Which of these are not recyclable through Gold Coast Recycling?
- How long does a one-time use plastic bottle decompose when it becomes marine trash?
Watch a 2 min Video of the Project and Earth Day Event:
Thanks to the following individuals for their support and guidance:
- Gina Matibag, Administrative Analyst
- Coleen Barsley, Sustainability & Operations Analyst
- Professor Simone Aloisio, Chair of the Chemistry Department
- Gold Coast Recycling Incorporated
- E.J. Harrison